» Course Descriptions
Part time 10-week Courses:
- Our 10-week courses are well established and extremely
popular and are ideal for those who prefer to study
less intensively, have long term aims for work or
personal reasons or are simply studying for fun.
- Our 10-week courses comprise 20 hours of lessons, with one two-hour lesson per week, starting at either 18.30 or 19.00. These fit easily into even the busiest schedule.
- These classes are a great opportunity to get to
know the language in depth and your class mates and
teacher as well.
Fast Track 5-week courses:
- These courses are perfect if you prefer a more intensive
learning experience or have only a few weeks before
a trip abroad.
- Our 5-week courses comprise 20 hours of lessons, with classes two evenings per week, starting at either 18.30 or 19.00, so you can really immerse yourself in the language in your spare time.
- This course is a great way to build confidence before
using the language more frequently at work, socially
or when jetting off on holiday, a gap year or a business
1-week Intensive Courses:
- These courses are ideal for people looking for a quick intensive language boost, as an introduction, refresher or targeted preparation to achieve fast results.
- Our intensive courses comprise 20 hours of lessons, taught over one week, Mon-Fri, for an intensive immersion in the language.
- This course offers fast results and similar benefits to full immersion abroad, making it ideal for targeted preparation in a short time, ahead of a trip abroad for example.
7-week Saturday courses:
- These courses are ideal for people who are busy during the week and in the evenings and want to use their Saturdays to learn.
- Our 7-week Saturday morning courses comprise 21 hours of lessons and cover the same syllabus as the standard 10-week and 5-week courses.
- These courses offer the chance to learn at a regular yet relaxed pace in a sociable and fun atmosphere, in small groups with qualified and experienced teachers.
Holiday Survival Courses:
- These courses teach practical language and cultural basics to help you make the most of your time abroad.
- Get ready for your holiday in just one weekend with 5 hours' tuition over Saturday & Sunday (10.30-16.30 each day).
- Suitable for complete beginners only, without prior language skills. To refresh previous language skills, try one of our Refresher Weekend Courses.
Refresher Weekend courses:
- These courses review, revise and refresh previously learnt practical language skills and help increase your confidence.
- Get back up to speed in just one weekend with 5 hours' tuition over Saturday & Sunday (10.30-16.30 each day).
- Suitable for students with Elementary or Intermediate skill levels only. For beginners, we offer Holiday Survival Weekend Courses (see above).
Exam Preparation Courses:
- Our exam preparation courses are perfect for those wanting an internationally recognised certification for that dream job, or as a step up to the next level of education.
- They are designed to equip students with the appropriate language skills, techniques and methodology to successfully pass the desired exam.
- With qualified, experienced exam prep teachers in a friendly and focussed environment, we provide the ideal setting to achieve your goals.
All our courses are:
- Friendly and great for meeting people!
- Fun, interactive and stimulating!
- Extremely good value for money!
Academically they all:
- Cover the grammar and structure of the language as well as focusing on speaking and listening
- Are taught by fully qualified teachers who are native speakers or bilingual
- Are directed by the Academic team here at Cactus
» Course Outlines
The Cactus Course Outlines provide a learning framework for the Cactus Foreign Language Evening Courses. They are designed to provide you with a good idea of what you might cover over a 10-week period, and include typical themes, grammar and vocabulary fields. They are flexible rather than prescriptive, in that our teachers may decide to adapt their learning plans to the specific level, aims and interests of their classes.
Weekend courses of 10 hours
20 hour courses (10-week, 5-week and 1-week)
» Choosing The Right Course
The course you take depends on a variety of factors, such as:
- your current level in the language
- the level you wish to reach
- the amount of time you have in which to learn the language
- your budget
- your location
Use the guide above for a quick overview of the different course types, then click on your preferred course for availability, locations and full course details.
» Course and Teacher Information
All our group courses are academically sound and promote long term aims with the language. The teaching is communicative, challenging, interactive, fun, and engages and stretches our students.
Our teachers are qualified and experienced language trainers, and are all native or bilingual speakers. They have been interviewed by our full time Academic Team, and have had their references followed up. We assign classes according to the strengths of our teachers and work with them to ensure the quality of course delivery is excellent at all times. We have also introduced a comprehensive Teacher Development Programme at Cactus, which incorporates a range of seminars, classroom observations, same-language teacher forums, regular newsletters, and information on methodology and hands-on teaching techniques. Our teaching philosophy is based on looking at ideas, asking questions, and meeting challenge.
Our courses are monitored throughout. Reviews are gathered from you by online questionnaires and acted upon by Cactus wherever appropriate. Teachers are consulted and provide direct input into course syllabuses and materials. By learning with Cactus, you enter an ongoing dialogue between you, your teacher, and us. We aim to provide a clear learning pathway and ensure you make real progress in the language of your choice.
» Course Information
We require a minimum number of students to be able run a group course. This number varies from centre to centre and is advertised on our website. Whilst the vast majority of courses easily meet this requirement, some variations sometimes donâ€™t. We will always try our hardest to run all of our courses as advertised, but cannot guarantee that courses which donâ€™t meet the minimum student number will be able to run. For more information, please refer to our FAQ's.