Whether you’re 50 or 80 (and yes, we do have 80-year-olds taking language courses!), choosing to learn a language later in life is a choice that will greatly enhance all aspects of your best years to come!
It takes time to learn a language. It takes a lot of time. While younger people struggle to fit in language learning with school, work, friends, and their social media addiction, adult learners tend to have more free time to dedicate to the activities that learning another language involves, such a reading a newspaper in the language, watching a film in the language or finding time to meet a language exchange partner.
Generally speaking, having worked hard for many years, people tend to have a greater amount of disposable income later in life. Which means one-to-one classes to speed up progression are affordable, and going on that language holiday abroad to Florence, and then perhaps even take another one to Venice, are also options.
If you plan to buy a second home abroad, want to enjoy fine art in Tuscany, plan to retire on Spanish shores or have just always wanted to learn a language, the sense of motivation that these goals bring are priceless. In order to be successful at language learning having lots of motivation is key to staying focussed and becoming fluent.
4. Healthy Mind
There is a vast amount of research and a plethora of scientific studies that prove the cognitive benefits of learning a second language. This research indicates that language learning also contributes to slowing down and even staving off the onset of dementia. Learning another language keeps your mind active, engaged and healthy.
5. Meet Like-Minded People
Taking one of our 50+ courses is a fantastic way to meet people who have similar interests, goals, and ambitions. Regardless of age it’s great to be able to mix socially with people who have a similar out-look, with whom you have empathy and who enjoy the same things that you do.
So, where do you start? Learning a language nowadays is a fun and social activity that can take place right on your doorstep or in any far-flung corner of the world.
• 2-week courses that combine Spanish lessons with seasonal specialities
• Cultural activities include; Feria, Wine & Gastronomy, Flamenco, Opera
• Accommodation can be booked in beautiful studio or 1-bedroom apartments close to the school, or with a host family for a fully-immersive experience
• Prices start from £441 per week
• 1 or 2 week course for like-minded 50 plus students on the French Riviera
• 20 lessons of French in a 50+ class
• Enjoy the Provencal “art de vivre” cuisine, wine and perfume of the region
• Explore the works of Matisse and Picasso in excursions in and around the city
• Accommodation can be booked with a host family or in an Apart-Hotel in the city centre
• 1 week from £449 per person
Book Now before 31st March for 10% off our September programme.
• Experience the art, cuisineand beauty of Florence with this 2-week programme for 40+ students
• 15 Italian language lessons per week
• Art History: 2 museum visits (e.g. Uffizi, Accademia, Palazzo Vecchio, Bargello, Cappelle Medicee)
• The Culture of Food: 1 cooking lesson, 1 wine tasting, 1 visit to a vineyard
• Meet the Artisans: 1 introductory lesson + 2 visits to artisans’ shops
• 2 weeks from £665 per person
Book Now for your friends and family and only pay one registration fee.
• Learn English in the sun with our English and activities course for students aged 50 or over.
• General English Mini Group 20 lessons per week
• Cultural Activity Programme: dinner at a Maltese restaurant, Harbour Cruise, Valletta, Mdina, Marsaxlokk, Gozo Tour, Hagar Qim and Mnajdra Temples
• Return airport transfers and accommodation included with a host family on a half-board basis
• 1 week from £571 per week