Terms and Conditions
Definitions and Interpretations in these Conditions
The ‘Company’ shall mean Cactus, or Cactus Language, or Cactus TEFL, or Cactus Language Training, or Cactus Worldwide Limited (registered company address: Unit 7, The Workshops, Marcus Street, Birkenhead, CH41 1EU, United Kingdom). The ‘Client’ shall mean the person in whose name the booking is made and shall include the person or persons on whose behalf the same is made. The ‘Student’ shall mean the person who is participating in the course. ‘Force Majeure’ shall mean any event outside the Company’s control which prevents the prompt performance of its obligations, including natural disasters, war, civil strife, acts of terrorism and political unrest, etc.
These terms relate to the following courses:
10-week Evening Courses:
Consist of 20 hours of tuition, with one two-hour lesson per week.
Face-to-face and online courses.
4-week Conversation Courses:
Consist of 8 hours of tuition, with two one-hour lessons per week.
Online courses only.
IELTS Exam Preparation courses:
Please check specific terms regarding IELTS Preparation online courses here.
For more information on courses, go to the Company website.
Students are required to be 16 and over, and should complete an online level test to confirm their language level. If any student attending our courses is under the age of 18, they must inform us by email at the time of their booking.
Students who wish to book our Basic Conversation course should have a basic knowledge of the language (a minimum of 10 hours of prior language class time) to join this beginners’ level.
Course books are not included in the 10-week evening course fees so students should purchase their own course books. The Company will advise which book is required and where this may be purchased. In class students may receive additional learning materials appropriate to the level of the course, such as photocopies.
Students from Conversation courses don’t need to purchase a course book.
Course Content and Subject Matter
Our courses are largely immersive, meaning that your teacher will speak very little, perhaps no English at all in the lesson. Please refer to our page about the methodology used in our classes.
The list of subjects discussed in our lessons can be found in our ‘course outlines’. These cover various everyday topics discussed in day-to-day life. Our teachers are not limited by these topics but they will not introduce sensitive material or subjects such as self-harm, sexual abuse, suicide, and violence. We recognise that everyday subjects may also be personally triggering for certain individuals. Should this be the case please let the teacher know you do not want to participate in that particular activity. We cannot issue refunds on the basis that a particular subject matter is personally triggering due to the wide-ranging and individualised nature of this.
Minimum Number of Students
We require a minimum number of 4 students to be able run a group course on the 10-week courses. Whilst the vast majority of courses easily meet this requirement, in some cases some unfortunately do not. We will always try our hardest to run all of our courses as advertised, but cannot guarantee that courses which don’t meet the minimum student number will be able to run. For courses on 3 students the 10-week courses could be run on a reduced number of weeks:
- With 3 students reduced to 8 weeks (should another student enrol during its first week, the course will run for 10 weeks)
1) If the minimum number of students is not met, this is the process we will follow:
- Where possible we will offer you a place on a confirmed course in a different location. Or we may decide to merge groups, which may also require a change of location.
- Where a move to another location is not practical, the course may still run (at the Company’s discretion), even if the minimum number of students is not met. Should neither of the above options be practical, your course fee will automatically be converted into a global Cactus credit, valid for one year. You can choose to:
- Use your credit as full or part payment towards any of our products worldwide. Our advisers will be happy to help you choose a suitable course for you.
- Keep your credit and defer a term, in order to take your originally chosen course at the next available start date. Courses run throughout the year with regular start dates. Please consult our website for your next available course start date. Please note that if your course fails to meet the minimum student number required in the next term, we cannot guarantee that we will be able to run the course.
- Request for the credit to be refunded back to you in accordance with our Cancellation & Refunds policy.
Conversation Courses: these courses may not run with fewer than 4 students in a group.
Maximum Number of Students
For quality reasons the maximum number of students admitted per course is 12 for our face-to-face courses and a maximum of 10 students per group for our online courses.
Where a course takes place during a public holiday, no language lessons will take place on that day and no reduction in price will be given except where specifically stated. Individual classes are usually rescheduled (but not always) but group classes are usually forfeited. Please consult the list of public holidays in England (it is the client’s responsibility to check these since they are often subject to change).
Course fees include VAT, unless otherwise stated.
Booking and Payment
1) No contract is made between the Company and the Client and no booking is valid until the Company has issued a course confirmation invoice by e-mail (an e-mail acknowledging payment or receipt of an order does not constitute a course confirmation invoice). The Company will issue the course confirmation approximately one week before the start date of the course .
2) During the booking process we supply dollar, euro and any other currency rate as a guideline only. We will always take payment in GB pounds and the amount you are charged will depend on the exact exchange rate at the time of payment.
We do not charge any booking fees.
Cancellation and Refunds
1) In the event that a Client wishes to cancel their course, they must notify the Company as soon as possible in writing. Cancellations by phone will not be accepted. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to cancel your course. The following terms apply:
i. All refund and deferral applications must be made at least fourteen (14 days) before the course start date initially booked.
ii. Refund applications made up to fourteen (14) days before the course start date will be eligible for a full refund minus a £40 administration fee. Alternatively you can postpone your booking to a later start date with no administration fee deductions applied.
iii. Refund applications made fourteen (14) days or less before the course start date cannot be accepted: no refunds are available and you will no longer be able to transfer your booking to a later start date.
iv. No refunds are available for non-attendance.
v. Credit card fees are non-refundable.
vi. Due to the nature of the courses, we cannot, in any event, pro-rata classes or transfer unused class time to another course.
vii. No refunds are available based on continuation teacher’s availability.
viii. How to claim a refund: You must notify the Company in writing/ by email, following your cancellation. All refunds will be subject to the terms and deductions outlined above.
2) In the event the Company is unable to run a course, or make suitable alternative arrangements under the Minimum Number of Students policy, the Client will be entitled to a full refund, including any credit card fees.
Refunds will be processed within 10 – 14 working days of notification of refund, depending on your bank.
3) Where orders were previously modified and administration charges or penalties incurred, a full refund no longer constitutes the original value of the booking, but is subject to deductions of these charges as detailed above.
4) Consumer Contracts Regulations (2014):
As a service that is provided on a specific date within a specific period the Company is not obligated to provide a fourteen (14) day cooling off period. However, the Company has elected to offer the following: Bookings made remotely (by telephone, email, online) may be cancelled within fourteen (14) days of the initial booking in writing email@example.com.
i. This 14-day period is called “the cooling off period”. If you cancel within the cooling off period, you must tell us in writing. Cancellations made by phone will not be accepted. You must keep evidence of your cancellation within the ‘cooling off period’. We will refund the fees paid in full minus a £10 administration fee.
ii. If you book fourteen (14) days or less before the start of the course you lose your right to a cooling off period. The service will start within the 14 day cooling off period and the service forms part of a set of group lessons which are not sold individually.
iii. If your cooling off period falls over the 14 days before the start of the course then your cooling off period is limited to the number of days that do not fall over the 14 days prior to the start of the course. All refund applications must be made at least fourteen (14 days) before the course start date.
Alterations by the Company
1) Courses are not confirmed until the course confirmation email has been sent, approximately one week before the start of the course. The company may change the course offering, dates, times, location before the course confirmations are issued.
2) The company will do its utmost to provide the arrangements that have been confirmed, but it must reserve the right to modify or cancel any course if unforeseen circumstances arise. This includes but is not limited to, providing a cover teacher for teacher sickness or absence, cancelling a lesson and offering an alternative date, postponing the course for one week, offering alternative suitable locations or levels. If force majeure occurs while a course is in progress, the company will try to make reasonable alternative arrangements, such as delivering courses online.
3) The Company requires a minimum number of students to be able to run a course. For further information, please refer to our policy on Minimum Number of Students.
4) Please note our course offer is subject to change based on course availability and student numbers. Please book your chosen course in advanced of the course date in order to secure your place.
Liability of the Company
The Company accepts responsibility for ensuring that all parts of the course are supplied as described and that all services shall reach reasonable standard. However the Company shall not be liable for the failure or improper performance of these services where such failure or improper performance is attributable to:
- fault of the client (including but not limited to: missing lessons or persistently arriving late, not agreeing to attend the correct level or course as deemed by the teacher/academic manager, unreasonable or inappropriate behaviour or communication either in class or online towards staff members or other students).
- unforeseeable or unavoidable actions of an unconnected third party, including public transport disruptions.
- unusual and unforeseeable circumstances beyond the Company’s control, including force majeure.
In such cases The Company reserves the right to offer alternative solutions including but not limited to: offering an alternative date, level or course tutor, a refund minus the related administration fees and lessons attended. The Company’s decision is absolute and final.
Alterations by the Client
1) If the Client wishes to change their booking in any way after the confirmation invoice has been issued, they must inform the Company immediately. For further information, please refer to your course type under the Cancellation & Refunds policy.
2) If the Client is unhappy with the teacher or any aspect of the teaching they must inform the Company immediately in writing. The Company cannot deal with issues or complaints retrospectively. The Company reserves the right to offer solutions to the issue such as speaking to the teacher about the problem, changing the teacher, offering the Client an alternative course or location. In the unlikely event that a Client is unhappy with their course we require the Client to attend a minimum of 3 lessons, in order to give a reasonable amount of time for any improvements and changes to be experienced. After the Client has made a complaint in writing we require the Client to attend a further two lessons in order to give a reasonable amount of time for any improvements and changes to be experienced. The Company will make every attempt to ensure the Client can continue with their course as a satisfied Client.
3) Should the Client decide that the level of their course is too high or low for them and they would like to change, they will need to request a transfer in writing (via email) in the first 2 weeks of their 10-week course. If they are taking a 5-week or 4-week course, they will need to send their transfer request in the first week of their course. If they are taking one of our one-week courses, they will need to request it before the second lesson of the course.
4) In the event that a acceptable solution cannot be found the Client may escalate their complaint as per the Complaints Procedure.
1) The Company believes that all statements made on its website or in printed material are factual and correct. Every reasonable effort has been made to describe the schools and environments and to provide the amenities described. The Company cannot therefore be held responsible for any changes that become known after any printed materials are produced (up-to-date information can be found on the Company website), nor can the Company accept liabilities for happenings outside its reasonable control. The Company undertakes to advise the Client of any changes known to it prior to the course.
2) The Company cannot be held responsible for incorrect information printed or online by associate websites. Please refer to the Company website for up to date information.
Cactus is unable to provide any kind of visa letter or invitation letter on the basis of attendance of/ payment for a UK evening & part-time language course as described under section 1. Definitions and Interpretations in these Conditions.
Any special requests must be advised to the company in writing at the time of booking. Please feel free to make known to us any medical conditions or other needs, which you feel may impact your learning experience and might enable us to provide you with a higher level of personal service and attention. Any information received will remain confidential.
General information is included on this website for help and guidance to the client. Please read it carefully. The contract incorporating these conditions shall be governed by English law and any matters arising out of it shall be subject to the jurisdiction of the Courts of England and Wales.
Terms & Conditions for IELTS Preparation Courses
- The IELTS online preparation courses advertised and sold on www.languagecoursesuk.co.uk are taught and delivered by MTS (Mobile Testing Solutions) https://www.mobiletesting.uk.com/
- The average number of students per group will be 10 although there is no fixed lower or upper student number limit.
- The Cactus Refunds policy and Alterations by the client apply to the IELTS online preparation courses (except for the administration fee stated below which applies to IELTS courses only).
- Refunds: courses cannot be refunded less that 14 days prior to the course start date. Refunds requested 15 days or more prior to the course start date will incur a £45 administration charge.
- Payment for the course is taken by Cactus Worldwide Ltd.
- Any issues or concerns should first be addressed in writing to Cactus. Cactus will subsequently deal with issues or concerns raised with MTS to seek a solution that is acceptable.
- Students must be 16 years or over.
- Slides/course materials will be provided for reading and writing however a course book is not provided. We recommend these books: National Geographic IELTS preparation. Cambridge IELTS book. MINDSET for IELTS Cambridge.
- If you have a complaint about the course please first contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will liaise with MTS to resolve your issue in accordance with MTS complaints procedure.
Terms & Conditions for Cactus Cultural Partner Offers
- Cultural partner offers are available to all Cactus students who are currently studying with us and those who have studied with us in the last 12 months
- Partner offers will be featured on the Cultural Partners web page
- Cactus students will receive discounts on goods and services offered by our Partners (e.g. food and drink, films, courses): in some cases, where noted, prior booking is required
- Cactus students should contact each partner individually to claim their discount
- Cactus students must present their e-mail course confirmation from Cactus in order to receive their discount
- Discounts are not valid in conjunction with any other offer
- Customers who want to claim their 20% discount on Cactus evening courses through our Cultural Partners should call Cactus on 01273 830 960 or email email@example.com, quoting the discount code.
Terms & Conditions of Discount Codes and General Discounts
- Discount codes and general discounts apply to 10-week courses and/or Conversation courses
- Valid for courses in city locations and online, unless stated otherwise
- Bookings must be made online using the code if needed or by phone quoting the promotional code
- Cactus reserves the right to cancel and refund courses depending on student numbers
- The promotional codes cannot be applied retrospectively to bookings made prior to these promotions
- Course books are not included and should be purchased by students prior to their course
- This offer replaces any previous offers and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.
- Discount codes and general discounts will be valid for a set period of time decided by Cactus.
- Cactus reserves the right to withdraw the promotion at any time
Terms & Conditions of Cactus Gift Vouchers
- Cactus Gift Vouchers can be spent on any of the Cactus Language courses included on our language holidays abroad, evening language courses in the UK and private language tuition websites.
- Gift vouchers are available from £20 (the selected amount should be equal to / greater than £20). This amount can also be used as part-payment towards a course of greater value.
- Any unused balance will remain on the gift voucher and may be applied to future courses.
- Cactus gift vouchers are non-refundable and cannot be exchanged or redeemed in whole or part for cash.
- Cactus gift vouchers are valid for 12 months. The recipient will have this period of time to decide how they would like to use their gift voucher and redeem it. The exact expiry date will be specified on every voucher.
- To officially redeem the voucher, the recipient will simply need to fill our dedicated form or email us quoting the order ID on their voucher. A language consultant will then be in touch to confirm all our available options for them and make any necessary arrangements.
- After using a gift voucher towards a Cactus Language course or service, the recipient’s booking will be subject to the Terms and Conditions of the selected product.
How to book with Cactus
Simply select which language you would like to learn and from the box below and click lets go.
Take level test
This is a quick test to help you find the right course for your current level of knowledge.
Book your course
Use our simple online booking system to select your course.
Frequently asked questions
What will I learn?
Our Course Outlines give an overview of the content and learning framework of Cactus courses. Includes themes, grammar and vocabulary you can typically expect to cover. These are intended as a guide only. Language teachers may at times adapt the course content to suit the specific level, aims and interests of the class.
How do I know what level I am?
Are you unsure where to start or progress to? Then take our level test and read our level descriptions for guidance.
Do I receive a qualification or certificate?
At the end of your course you receive a certificate of participation. You will be able to be download it from your MyCactus account. This confirms the language and level of course you have taken. Our course levels are based on two internationally recognised systems. You will have a universally accepted reference for your studies. (Important: Please note that you must complete the end of course questionnaire sent to you to be able to get your certificate! You will receive the course questionnaire by e-mail at the end of your course.)
Do I need a course book?
You will need a course book to attend your course. Course books are not included in the course fees. We recommend that you buy your own course book separately before your course starts. We will let you know which course book you will require and advise where you can purchase this. Please note that a course book often covers more than one level. So if you progress to the next course, you may not necessarily need to buy a new book. Again, we will advise you of this at the time. The course book is chosen by our teachers and academic team. This is based on which book is most suitable for the level of the class whilst offering the most communicative approach.