Languages of India – Which Languages are Spoken in India?
India, a land of diverse cultures and traditions, is also a linguistic kaleidoscope. India has a rich tapestry of over 20 official languages spoken across the country. It’s no wonder that India is often referred to as a linguistic paradise. But which are the spoken languages of India? We have taken a look at the prominent and less prominent official languages spoken across this great country.
Languages of India
Hindi: The Heart of India
Hindi is the official language of India and is spoken by more than 40% of the country’s population. It’s the language that binds the nation together. Hindi connects people from various regions and backgrounds. Learning Hindi not only opens doors to cultural understanding but also enhances your communication skills in a country where it’s widely spoken.
At Cactus, we offer Hindi courses that cater to both beginners and those looking to hone their Hindi language skills. Whether you’re a traveller, a business professional, or just someone with a passion for languages. Our Hindi courses will help you become fluent and confident in this beautiful language.
English: The Global Language
In a country as diverse as India, English plays a significant role as a link language. It’s the language of business, education, and international communication. Learning English opens up a world of opportunities and allows you to connect with a global audience. It was also the only official language of the country prior to the country’s independence in 1947.
Cactus offers English language courses that are designed to help you master the language. Whether you’re starting from scratch or aiming to enhance your existing skills. Our experienced instructors ensure you gain the confidence you need to communicate effectively in English, both in India and around the world. You can study online or in-person at one of our language schools.
Sign up for our offers
Exclusive discounts on your course with Cactus directly on your inbox!
Other Spoken Languages of India
While English and Hindi are the two most popular languages in India, it’s important to note that there are over 20 officially recognized languages spoken in the country, each with its own regional presence:
- Bengali: Spoken predominantly in West Bengal and Bangladesh.
- Telugu: Widely spoken in Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
- Marathi: The primary language in Maharashtra.
- Tamil: The official language of Tamil Nadu and widely spoken in Sri Lanka.
- Urdu: Found in many parts of India, with a strong presence in Uttar Pradesh.
- Punjabi: The dominant language in Punjab.
- Gujarati: Spoken in Gujarat and among Gujarati communities worldwide.
- Odia: Mainly spoken in the eastern state of Odisha.
- Kannada: The official language of Karnataka.
- Malayalam: The language of Kerala in the south.
- Assamese: The primary language in Assam and northeastern states.
- Maithili: Predominant in Bihar and Nepal.
- Sanskrit: Revered and studied across the country.
- Santali: Spoken in Jharkhand, West Bengal, and Odisha.
- Kashmiri: The language of Jammu and Kashmir.
- Nepali: Found in parts of northern India and Nepal.
- Konkani: Spoken in Goa and surrounding regions.
- Sindhi: The language of the Sindhi community across India.
- Dogri: Predominantly spoken in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Manipuri: The official language of Manipur.
- Bodo: Widely spoken in Assam and neighbouring areas.
- Santhali: Spoken in parts of Jharkhand, West Bengal, and Odisha.
Learning Spoken Languages of India with Cactus
At Cactus, we understand the importance of learning these essential languages. Thus we provide a tailored learning experience to help you achieve your language goals. Our courses are not only informative but also engaging, ensuring that you have a fun and effective learning experience.
So, if you’re curious about India’s linguistic diversity or planning a visit to this incredible country, learning Hindi and English can be your gateway to a deeper understanding and smoother communication.
Don’t miss out on the opportunity to explore these beautiful languages with Cactus. Join our language courses today and embark on a journey to discover the culture, history, and people of India through Hindi and English. You can study online or in-person at one of our UK schools.