Skip to content

Chinese Mandarin Course Materials

Cactus Chinese Mandarin courses are structured around a Mandarin language course book. Cactus teachers will use the course book activities and exercises in class, and may also use the course book to set homework. Learn more about Chinese Mandarin course materials below.

Course Materials

Course Materials

The course book will be used approximately 60% of the time. The other 40% made up of activities and tasks sourced by the teacher from additional resources. Your teacher will use their own materials and practice activities from other books. Will also use materials from newspapers, magazines, the internet, video, radio, and podcasts.

On this page you can check which course material you need to buy for your Chinese Mandarin course level. We also offer our top tips on how to make the most of your course book.

Beginner 1HSK Standard Course 1 (Units 1 – 7)9787561937099
Beginner 1 (Optional)HSK Standard Workbook 1 (optional)9787561937105
Beginner 2HSK Standard Course 1 (Units 8 – 15)9787561937099
Beginner 3HSK Standard Course 2 (Units 1 – 8)9787561937266
Elementary 1HSK Standard Course 2 (Units 9 – 15)9787561937266
Elementary 2HSK Standard Course 3 (Units 1 – 7)9787561938188
Elementary 3HSK Standard Course 3 (Units 8 – 14)9787561938188
Intermediate 1HSK Standard Course 3 (Units 15 – 20)9787561938188
Intermediate 2HSK Standard Course 4 A (Units 1- 5)9787561939031
Intermediate 3HSK Standard Course 4 A  (Units 6-10)9787561939031
Upper Intermediate LowerHSK Standard Course 4 B (Units 11-20)*9787561939307
Upper Intermediate HigherHSK Standard Course 5A*9787561940334
AdvancedHSK Standard Course 5B9787561942451
ProficientHSK Standard Course 6A9787561942543
HSK Standard Course 6B**9787561947791

*These units will be taught over two course intakes. This means students should take two courses of Upper Intermediate Lower and two courses of Upper Intermediate Higher.
**Please note that 6B will be used once the 6A book is completed. 

Where to buy your Chinese Mandarin book

Cactus students should be able to find most of our course books on BEBC.

Alternatively, you may also find your course book on AmazonAbeBooks or eBay. To help support sustainability in the world of education, we highly recommend purchasing second-hand copies of your course book where possible. Purchasing second-hand books helps reduce waste and provides a more cost-effective option for students, so it’s a win-win for everyone!

How to book with Cactus

Select language

Simply select which language you would like to learn and from the box below and click lets go.

Take level test

This is a quick test to help you find the right course for your current level of knowledge.

Book your course

Use our simple online booking system to select your course.

Frequently asked questions

What will I learn?

Our Course Outlines give an overview of the content and learning framework of Cactus courses. Includes themes, grammar and vocabulary you can typically expect to cover. These are intended as a guide only. Language teachers may at times adapt the course content to suit the specific level, aims and interests of the class.

How do I know what level I am?

Are you unsure where to start or progress to? Then take our level test and read our level descriptions for guidance.

Do I receive a qualification or certificate?

At the end of your course you receive a certificate of participation. You will be able to be download it from your MyCactus account. This confirms the language and level of course you have taken. Our course levels are based on two internationally recognised systems. You will have a universally accepted reference for your studies. (Important: Please note that you must complete the end of course questionnaire sent to you to be able to get your certificate! You will receive the course questionnaire by e-mail at the end of your course.)

Do I need a course book?

You will need a course book to attend your course. Course books are not included in the course fees. We recommend that you buy your own course book separately before your course starts. We will let you know which course book you will require and advise where you can purchase this. Please note that a course book often covers more than one level. So if you progress to the next course, you may not necessarily need to buy a new book. Again, we will advise you of this at the time. The course book is chosen by our teachers and academic team. This is based on which book is most suitable for the level of the class whilst offering the most communicative approach.

Still have questions?

Sign up for our offers

Exclusive discounts on your course with Cactus directly on your inbox!